This week, Donnie and I were able to get great deals on packaged foods at our local supermarket. It’s the first time we’ve purchased prepared food products in awhile, so I thought it was a good time to revisit some of my favorite strategies for transforming packaged foods into delicious, (almost) homemade meals!
- Add ham and green peas to a box of au gratin potatoes, sprinkle with bread crumbs and grated cheese, then bake according to package directions.
- Melt cheese over cut-up, cooked chicken. Serve on a bed of prepared taco rice mixed with corn. Add salsa and sour cream at the table.
- Add cooked rice, cooked chicken, broccoli, and grated cheese to canned broccoli cheddar soup that has been prepared according to the directions on the label.
- Saute a little ground beef with diced fresh or canned tomatoes, then add to a prepared cheesy-noodle side dish.
- Finely chop some cooked pork and carrots, then add to any Asian-style rice or noodle side dish.
- Pour canned chili over cooked rice or potatoes, sprinkle with cheese, and microwave or broil until the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.
- Add cooked chicken and lots of veggies to pasta salad mix, and serve hot or cold.
How do you dress packaged foods up to create delicious not-quite-from-scratch dinners?